In order to read some of the articles first published in 1991 for the 75th Anniversary of the LRC go to the Articles page.
The Labrador Retriever Club
The Club was formed in 1916 and was the first club to be created purely with the interests of the Labrador Retriever in mind. In those early days, when the Labrador breed was becoming established, the founding committee was responsible for setting up the guidelines for its development. The first Club Chairman was the Hon Arthur Holland-Hibbert (Munden), later Lord Knutsford; the Secretary was Mrs Quintin-Dick (Banchory), later Lorna, Countess Howe.
The objects of the club were as follows:
A breed standard was drawn up, and although during the war years Field Trials and Shows were not actually taking place, plans were made for the running of these events and for the selection of suitable judges.
From those early days the breed and the Club have gained in strength and popularity. Early records show that in 1912 there were 281 Labradors registered with The Kennel Club; ten years later that figure had risen to 916. In 2004, over 45,000 Labradors were registered, this being the highest number in all breeds. The club membership has also risen dramatically, with 2,300 members by the end of 2004, from a total of 51 Countries.
Since 1948 the Club has been honoured by Royal patronage; firstly HM King George VI, then, for the last fifty years HM Queen Elizabeth II has been an active member and Patron, regularly attending our Field Trials and hosting them at Sandringham and Windsor.
Each year the Club holds a number of different events including Shows, Field Trials and training. These are held at different venues around the country. An illustrated year book is published, recording details of the previous year’s events, together with informative articles relating to the breed. The year book also contains many pages of kennel reviews and photographs. It is available free of charge to members and may be purchased separately by non-members.